WE ARE OPEN FOR EYE EXAMS! We're practicing social distancing & COVID safety.
If you have a brown spot on eye and do not like its appearance, Dr. Paul Super at Eye Sight Optometric Group can help to address this problem today. Give him a call at(310) 820-2020 for your eye examination today.
Perhaps you have had a brown spot on eyefor a long time. You might think that the brown spot on eye is something to be concerned about. Is it a health risk? Actually, this is merely an ‘eye freckle’ and is almost always harmless.
There are two types of eye freckles. The first type is known as a nevus. This is like a mole on the skin. Some nevi are obvious to the eye. But others are unseen in the back of the eye. No one will ever see this kind except your eye doctor. Nevi have different names depending upon their location in or on the eye:
· Conjunctival nevus: On the eye surface
· Iris nevus: In the colored part of the eye
Choroidal nevus: Under the retina in the back of the eye
A nevus can have other colors. It also be a yellow brown spot on eye. Nevi can be brown, gray, yellow or a variety of colors. They are made up of special cells called which give your eyes and skin their color. Most of the time, these cells are well spread out. But if enough of them are in one place, a nevus can form.
Doctors do not know for sure why some people have eye freckles. are not sure why some people get eye freckles, and some do not. But they say there are two factors that can elevate the chance of eye freckles.
· Race: Choroidal nevi at the rear of the eye are seen more in white people and those with light skin.
· Sun exposure: It is theorized that sun damage can increase the chances of getting nevi. Evidence exists that iris freckles are caused by sun exposure.
You have some options forbrown spot on sclera removal that Dr. Paul Super can go over during your visit:
· Medicated drops: Some eye drops may lighten brown or yellow spots on the sclera.
· Laser therapy: A trabeculoplasty or laser iridotomy can be done by Dr. Super. He can review these options with you.
Other surgeries: An ophthalmologist can do a conjuntivectomy that will take off the conjunctival layer, but it can regrow and there will be no brown spot.
If you see a brown spot on eye and want it gone, please call Dr. Paul Super at (310) 820-2020.